Friday 10 April, 2009
Antonio Cassano has expressed his gratitude to Sampdoria and former Azzurri Coach Roberto Donadoni.

Cassano has learned to control his temperament better over the course of the last 18 months with Sampdoria.

However, he is still not part of Marcello Lippi's current plans for La Nazionale.

“I have no problem regarding the national side,” Cassano insisted on Sky Sport Italia.

“I am available and if Lippi were to call me I would be prepared, otherwise I will just go on holiday early.”

Cassano has had some low moments in the Italy side, including the unsuccessful Euro 2004 adventure.

“At Euro 2004 I watched the first game against Denmark from the bench,” he recalled.

“The day after that I packed my bags and I wanted to go home, but Gigi Buffon stopped me.”

Donadoni unexpectedly selected Cassano for the European Championship four years later.

“I only went to Euro 2008 because Donadoni was in charge and he likes me,” Fantantonio explained.

“Donadoni stuck his neck out for me and believed in my abilities. If I had made a mistake he would have been the first to get the blame - that's why I behaved myself.”

The fiery marksman's fortunes have improved vastly since he left Real Madrid in 2007.

“I am much happier in Genoa,” Cassano stressed. “Samp have allowed me to work with fitness Coach Agostino Tibaudi who is the Lionel Messi of trainers in my eyes.

“I have changed physically. I am stronger, have more stamina, am more explosive and faster.

“I have lost a lot of weight and I watch what I eat. I have also been lucky enough to meet my fiancée and she has changed my life.

“I always thought that there was just one girl for me in the world, but I never thought she could be so perfect.”

Cassano concluded by looking back at some of his worst 'Cassanata' episodes.

“The biggest mistake of my life was when I threw my shirt in the referee's face,” he grimaced.

“Every other time I made a mistake I knew I was in the wrong, but for that moment I didn't.”